We have some super sumptuous recipes in our upcoming Outlander Issue from Gather Victoria, who made so many Scottish delights that we weren’t able to fit this magical thistle jelly in the magazine, so we’re including the recipe here. Isn’t it wondrous? We can’t wait till you see what IS in the issue!
You’ll start by harvesting 2 cups of fresh blossoms to make a very strong tisane (a French word for herbal infusion) which is basically a tea with flowers, fruits or herbs steeped in boiling water.
• 2 cups tightly packed thistle blossoms
• 4 cups water
• 1/4 cup lemon juice
• 3 1/2 cups of organic cane sugar
• 1 package of pectin
• Bring water to boil. Remove from heat and let cool a couple of minutes. Add the downy petals and a few whole flower heads and push them down into the water until fully covered. Cover and steep one hour. Strain.
• Place your tisane in a pot, add lemon juice and pectin. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Add sugar and keep stirring until mixture comes to a rolling boil – then boil one minute longer. Remove from heat. Skim any foam from the top.
• Pour into sterilized jars leaving 1/4” headspace. Process in a hot water bath for 10 min. Or you can skip this step and put into the fridge, it will keep a few weeks.